Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor House, Staten Island
Address: 2286 Richmond Road
LPC Action: Calendared in 1966
LPC Backlog Hearing: Prioritized for designation
Designated - December 13, 2016
Designation overturned by City Council- March 28, 2017
The Lakeman-Courtelyou-Taylor House is a stone Dutch Colonial style farmhouse that underwent extensive restorative work in 2001-02. It is likely that is is the only 17th-century building on Staten Island to remain un-landmarked.
LPC Statement of Significance:
This Dutch Colonial style farmhouse has a two-story wing with a gambrel roof and a one-story wind with a gable roof. Both wings are built of irregular fieldstone with wood at the gambrel/gable ends above the first story. It is believed that the two-story wing is the original part of the house and the one-story wing is an early addition. Characteristic of the Dutch Colonial style are the materials, massing, (footprint and height), rooflines and small window openings.
The land on which the house is situated was granted in 1675 by Governor Andros to Lewis Lakeman (name also appears to as Lackerman, Lockman, Lalman and Larrman in early records). It is believed to that one of his sons, Abraham Lakeman (1661-1734), built the main part of the house sometime after 1683. He left his house and farm to three of his married daughters. Peter Cortelyou of Kings County came into possession of the property but may have only owned it for a short time because there is no record of him living on Staten Island. In 1714, he deeded the house and 40 acres of land to Rem van der Beeck and his wife Dorothea Coteleua (Cortelyou). By 1719, the house was owned by Isaac Van Tuyl. His wife was Sara Lakerman, probably a daughter of Abraham Lakerman, the builder of the house. In 1751, Augustine Creed sold it to Aaron Cortilieu (Cortelyou) (1726-1789), a descendant of Jacques Cortelyou, a Huguenot who emigrated in 1652. Aaron Cortelyou was one of the original members of the Moravian Church at New Dorp opposite his home. He left the property to his daughter Elizabeth, wife of Richard seamons. In 1794, they sold the house to Joseph Taylor. It remained in the Taylor family for many years. In 1874 the house was owned by Mrs. S. Barton and in 1916 by David J. Tysen. It was sold in 1928 by William Miles to Xavier Kirchhoffer.
Extensive restoration work, including the removal of modern additions, was done in 2001-01 pursuant to two Notices of Reviews issued by LPC. The Lakeman House is a rare surviving example of a Dutch Colonial style house in New York City and is one of the oldest houses on Staten Island.