Cunard Hall, Wagner College, Staten Island
Address: 631 Howard Avenue
Constructed: c. 1852
LPC Action: 1966
LPC Backlog Hearing: Removed from the calendar without prejudice
With a mission to prepare future Lutheran ministers for admission to seminary, Wagner College was founded in 1883 in Rochester, NY. The college relocated to Grymes Hill on Staten Island in 1918, acquiring the 38-acre former country estate of 19th century shipping magnate Edward Cunard, the New York representative of the famous Cunard shipping line. The estate, which overlooked New York harbor, Manhattan and the ocean, included a grand mansion called “Westwood.” The mansion is a three-story, red brick Italianate villa with a multi-gabled roofline, overhanging bracketed eaves and arched windows.