Holy Trinity Cathedral/Ukrainian Church in Exile, Brooklyn
Address: 177-181 South 5th Street
Architect: Helme-Huberty & Hudswell
LPC Action: Calendared 1966
LPC Backlog Hearing: Removed from the calendar without prejudice
177-181 South 5th Street in Brooklyn is remarkably intact despite its long history of adaptive reuse. When the Williamsburg Bridge opened in 1903, the area at the foot of the bridge flourished as a new hub. This Beaux-Arts building is one such product of this development, as it was originally constructed as the Williamsburg Trust Company in 1905. The Williamsburg Savings Bank went under by 1915 and at that time, the building was converted to serve as the Fifth Districts Magistrates Court. The court system changed, rendering the building obsolete for the courts system. In 1961, a Ukrainian immigrant population bought the building and has had an active congregation ever since.