Crocheron House, Staten Island
Address: Historic Richmond Town
Constructed: c. 1819
LPC Action: Calendared in 1966
LPC Backlog Hearing: Denied
Staten Island native and Manhattan merchant Jacob Crocheron constructed this house at 84 Woodrow Road in Greenridge. In 1987, the Staten Island Historical Society purchased the house to prevent its demolition, and relocated it to its present location in Historic Richmond Town. The wood-frame, one-and-a-half-story farmhouse has a gambrel roof with dormers, tall brick chimneys on both side elevations, clapboard and cedar shingle cladding, and columned porches on both the front and back of the house.
LPC Statement of Significance:
Originally located at 27 Travis Avenue in the Greenridge neighborhood of Staten Island, Crocheron House now rests within Historic Richmond Town. The house was constructed for Jacob Crocheron, a Staten Island native and Manhattan merchant. Crocheron constructed the Dutch Colonial-style house c. 1819 to serve as his retirement residence. The house retains original details including twin brick chimneys, three pitched-roof dormers, flared eaves, and a full-length porch supported on four wooden columns. The home’s Georgian symmetry and period woodwork reflect the influence of the Federal-period architecture the common in the lower Hudson Valley. The house has probably been resided and the windows have likely been replaced; the present six-over-six double-hung sashes, however, are historically accurate to the style and time period (if not original).