415-419 7th St

This red brick structure was originally built as the All Saints Episcopal Chapel. The congregation grew considerably over the next two decades, prompting the construction of a larger building on 7th Avenue, completed in 1893.

The chapel was purchased in 1903 by the Emanuel German Evangelical Lutheran Church, a congregation formed in 1884 by several families who left St. John’s Lutheran after it ceased to be a strictly German- speaking church. They had previously purchased a church in Williamsburg, but in 1901 the city condemned all the buildings in the area for the construction of the East River (now Williamsburg) Bridge. The chapel was home to this congregation until 1948 when it merged with St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church. Not much is known about the use of the building for the next decades, but in 1992 it was purchased and restored by Kingsboro Temple.