2530 Church Avenue
1872 church
ca. 1900-1915 rectory, school & convent

The Holy Cross parish was established in 1845 and was the first to serve the growing Catholic population of Flatbush.

As numbers increased, by the second half of the 19th century the congregation had outgrown the wood frame structure they had built at the corner of Veronica Place (then Prospect Street) and Erasmus Street, and plans began for a new building.

In 1871 they purchased an adjacent lot on Church Avenue and began the construction of this Gothic Revival structure. Under the leadership of Father James Doherty, the former church was converted into a parochial school for girls, and a rectory and convent were added.

In 1883, Father J. T. Woods took over as head of the congregation and began
an extensive renovation and expansion project. By the early 1900s, the church complex
included the Holy Cross RC School and a new rectory, with a new brick building for the
Convent. A new hall was also erected, replacing the former church. Around 1915, another
school building was added to the group.

Today, Holy Cross has adapted to the changing demographics by offering services in Spanish, Haitian Creole, and English. They maintain a strong community presence through their educational role, while also providing services such as food pantry and after-school programs.