1367 Rogers Ave
Johnson & Hemle

Inspired by Georgian architecture, this firehouse was the headquarters for the Battalion Chief when built. The two-story structure features a three-bay façade with brick and limestone. The large rounded windows on the second floor are flanked by limestone pilasters and an ornate entablature, with wrought-iron balustrades and a balcony on the central bay.

The first floor was designed for a steam engine, hose wagon, and a ladder truck, along with stables for six horses. The second floor had office space and living facilities for the firemen.

It is an early work of prolific architect Frank J. Hemle, and one of the few examples of his partnership with Ephraim Johnson. Throughout his career, Hemle designed a variety of houses, churches, banks, and park buildings. Some of his most noted works are the St. Barbara’s Church in Brooklyn, the Williamsburgh Trust Company building, and the Bush Tower in Manhattan, all designated NYC Landmarks.

Photo by Julia Charles.