INWOOD HILL PARK
Adjacent to Isham Park, between Dyckman Street, the Hudson River and the Harlem River Ship Canal
Officially opened on May 8, 1926
Inwood Hill Park, created from lands purchased by the city in 1916, includes the largest remaining forest in Manhattan; its natural topography features schist, marble and limestone outcroppings with caves and the only remaining salt-water marsh along the edge of Manhattan Island. The park offers views of the estuary created by the confluence of the Hudson and Harlem Rivers at the Spuyten Duyvil, the Henry Hudson Memorial Bridge, and the Palisades on the New Jersey side of the Hudson River.
In 1992, then New York City Councilmember Stanley E. Michels sponsored successful legislation to name the natural areas of Inwood Hill Park “Shorakapkok” in honor of the Lenape who once resided in the area. The Native American name for the area means variously the wading place, the edge of the river, or the place between the ridges.