MOUNT WASHINGTON PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
80–4 Vermilyea Avenue
Renwick, Aspinwall & Guard
Mount Washington Presbyterian Church is the “new” building of the oldest congregation in Inwood, established in 1844 by Samuel Thomson. Led by the Rev. George Shipman Payson from 1874 to 1920, the church served early families of Inwood, including the Dyckmans, the Ishams and the Vermilyeas. The arrival of the Independent subway line forced relocation of the church from its former Dyckman Street address in the late 1920s. In 2005 the New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Upper Manhattan Historic Preservation Fund repaired the slate tile roof and copper drainage system of the church.
Additional Neighborhood Sites
ART DECO PARK FURNISHINGS, INWOOD HILL PARK URBAN ECOLOGY CENTER and THE HENRY HUDSON MEMORIAL BRIDGE