FDNY ENGINE 79, LADDER 37, BATTALION 27
2928 Briggs Ave
Architectural firm Napoleon LeBrun & Son developed a specific layout for firehouses in the late 1880s, and afterwards, the Fire Department commissioned a number of well-known architects to design them, as well as some Department employees.
The firehouse for Engine 79 was built the same year the Company was organized, expanding its services in 1908 to include Ladder 37, and in 1978 it annexed Battalion27.It covered much of the same areas they do today, but as the neighborhood developed their workload grew exponentially. During waves of arson in the 1970s, the units relieved other Bronx firehouses to the south, and by 1982, Engine 79 ranked in the top 10 of total runs citywide.
Perhaps their most impactful run in the neighborhood was in 1997, when the companies were dispatched to a devastating fire in St. Philip Neri Church. While the church’s interior was almost completely destroyed, firefighters were able to save some of the religious artifacts.
After a brief relocation in 2008, the Company returned to this building in 2010.