City Tabernacle, Seventh Day Adventists’ Church (originally Mount Neboh Temple)
564 West 150th Street
Berlinger & Moscowitz
Faced in a mix of dark red and clinker brick and topped by a Spanish tile roof, the City Tabernacle of the Seventh Day Adventists’ Church proudly asserts itself on this residential side street. Upon its completion in 1917, the Architectural Review noted that the temple had “an excellent portal and gable arcade,” but noted that “the tiled coping was heavy and superfluous.” The building was originally constructed as the Mount Neboh Temple, which later moved to 130 West 79th Street. Although the façade has lost its Jewish symbols, it retains an elaborate Romanesque arch faced in terra cotta with Egyptian Revival detailing. Rising above the entryway is a series of seven arched windows set within the front gable, which is topped by a dentilled cornice. The church purchased the synagogue in 1945 and eventually took ownership of Mount Neboh’s West 79th Street location, as well, demolishing it in 1984 amid a heated preservation battle.