Former Williamsbridge Reservoir Keeper’s House and Williamsbridge Oval
3400 Reservoir Oval
West George Birdsall, (chief engineer, NYC Department of Public Works)
The Williamsbridge Reservoir was created to bring fresh water to west Bronx residents via a pipeline from lakes north of White Plains. Due to the contiguous construction of the New Croton Aqueduct, it only operated until 1919 and was handed over to the Parks Department in 1934. Of note is the Recreation Building, constructed in 1937. The cottage across the street was built for the reservoir’s supervisor. The cottage is made of rock-faced ashlar with a granite foundation and trim, and features a slate gable roof, copper gutters and an ornate porch. The house was unoccupied for many years until it was purchased in 1946 as a private residence. In 1999, the Mosholu Preservation Corporation transformed it into their headquarters. The Keeper's House was designated a New York City Individual Landmark in 2000, and as listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places in 1999.