3435 GILES PLACE
Former site of the Giles mansion and approximate site of Fort Independence.
While it is currently occupied by Fort Independence Hall, an apartment building dating to 1960, the site holds much significance. Prior to its demolition in 1957, it was the site of the Giles mansion, which was constructed in 1853 by William Ogden Giles (architect unknown). The mansion was a magnificent structure with a large central tower that commanded hilltop views of the region. The site had previously been the approximate location of Revolutionary War–era Fort Independence. During the construction of both the Giles mansion in the mid-19th century and Fort Independence Hall in the mid-20th century, many revolutionary war artifacts were unearthed here.