1054 and 1056 Clay Avenue

Warren C. Dickerson
Clay Avenue Historic District

Although Nos. 1054 and 1056 share similar asymmetrical massing with their southern neighbors, this pair of houses stands out with its rounded bays and gable topped with a segmental-arched pediment. Tall stone stoops, as seen throughout the district, lead to doorways flanked by dwarf pilasters with foliate corbels and caps. No. 1054 retains all of its original leaded-glass transoms in the second story windows. Both the gable and the dormers feature galvanized iron pediments, while only No. 1056 features its original bracketed cornice. The areaway features its historic wrought-iron railings and cast-iron newels. In 1903, Henry Stiehl, a baking supply dealer, purchased No. 1054 and moved in with his wife, two sons and a servant. A year later, Martha Tezlaff, a German immigrant, bought No. 1056, and 1910 census data indicates that she lived here with her daughter, son-in-law and servant.