386 East 162nd Street
Architect & date unknown
Wedged between the masses of two apartment buildings, the two-story, wood-framed house at 386 East 162nd Street survives as a symbol of an earlier period in The Bronx’s development. This vernacular building is relatively unadorned except for its three Italianate cornice brackets. The Morrisania section of The Bronx dates back to 1850, when country estates were subdivided and developed with single-family houses that could be sold to professionals commuting into Manhattan on the New York & Harlem Railroad. The introduction of industry and manufacturing to the area and the coming of the elevated railway along Third Avenue in 1887 encouraged denser development so that by the turn of the 20th century, the neighborhood was a mix of tenements, single-family dwellings and old village housing.