1051 and 1053 Clay Avenue

Warren C. Dickerson
Clay Avenue Historic District

The façade of this pair of red brick, three-story rowhouses is enlivened by the rock-faced stone at the buildings’ bases, around the entrances, in the second-story window lintels and on the beltcourses. Stone stoops with historic wrought-iron railings lead up to the entrances, which each feature a wood and glass door set below a transom. With two-story rounded bays flanking either side, the façade culminates in a central gable with a set of two round-arch windows. Ornamented dormers, which rise above a bracketed cornice, are found on either side of the gable. In 1905, four households occupied the two buildings, including that of Helen Seamen, a dressmaker who lived at No. 1053 with her five children and a niece.