1050 and 1052 Clay Avenue

Warren C. Dickerson
Clay Avenue Historic District

While this pair of houses may be asymmetrical in its massing, Nos. 1050 and 1052 share common characteristics such as keyed limestone transom bars and dwarf pilasters flanking the doors. Non-historic iron railings guide visitors up the tall pair of stone stoops to the entryways. The façade, faced in Roman brick (red brick for No. 1050 and beige brick for No. 1052), is enlivened with window openings featuring keyed enframements and drip lintels. The shared gable that rises from the center of the pair features a galvanized iron pediment. Dormers with pediments supported by Ionic pilasters are found on either side of the gable. In 1905, No. 1050 was home to John E. Hubbard, a carpet salesmen, and Thomas Ahearn, a fireman, as well as their families. Their neighbors at No. 1052 included Henry Cabaud and his mother, daughter and Irish-born aunt.