Hebron French Speaking Seventh Day Adventist Church
100 New York Avenue
Henry Ives Cobb, 1909-10
This striking church is the area’s only example of neo-Byzantine style architecture. It features unusual massing, an octagonal sanctuary, a pyramidal roof, round arch openings, identical entrance pavilions on New York Avenue connected by a curving, blind arcade, and intricate stained glass with floral and figural motifs. Originally constructed for the First Church of Christ Scientist, it was designed by noted Chicago architect Henry Ives Cobb, who was famous for his design of the Fisheries Building at the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893.
The Hebron French Speaking Seventh Day Adventist Church is located in the Crown Heights North Historic District and the State and National Register of Historic Places Crown Heights North Historic District.