54, 50, AND 44 HARRISON STREET
James R. Robinson, ca. 1890
Adrian R. and Peter Post, ca. 1858
The Queen Anne/Shingle Style house at number 54 was built by carpenter-builder James R. Robinson, and has two stories plus a raised basement and attic. Each level is made of or faced with a different material, giving the house a rich polychromatic texture. A concrete base supports a red brick first story, which gives way to a painted clapboard second story. The pitched roof has a pitched dormer with an arched window, which caps a full-height projecting bay. The entrance porch features a sloping roof supported by intricate woodwork and columns. Number 50 was constructed for Jasper A. H. Britton, a gentleman farmer who purchased several other lots on the street. Britton’s son, Nathaniel Lord Britton, was the founder and first director of the New York Botanical Garden. Number 44 was the home of carpenter-builders Adrian and Peter Post. It features a wrap-around porch with Ionic columns and a rail fence, pitched gables with overhanging eaves and a double door.