ST . MARTIN ’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
230 Lenox Avenue
William A. Potter, 1887–89
St. Martin’s is thought by many to be the finest example of Romanesque Revival architecture in New York City. Also of note, inside its tower are 42 carillon bells, only second in number in the city to those in Riverside Church. St. Martin’s has long been an important hub of the African-American community here. During the picketing of 125th Street shops in 1933, Reverend John H. Johnson led successful protests against white-owned shops that refused to employ African-Americans during the Depression.