WATCHTOWER , center of Marcus Garvey Park
Attributed to James Bogardus
The Watchtower, located in the center of Marcus Garvey Park, predates the Civil War and has been an individual New York City landmark since 1967. Four stories tall, the cast-iron octagonal tower includes a large alarm bell hanging from the second story. This structure originally was connected to seven other watchtowers in Manhattan via telegraph, and its bell was sounded to indicate in which district a fire was located. The structures’ use was discontinued in 1878 after fire-alarm boxes were installed in Manhattan. This is the only remaining watchtower in New York City.
Note- The Fire Watch Tower was dismantled due to structural concerns by the NYC Parks Department