Public School 34, The Oliver H. Perry School
131 Norman Avenue
Samuel B. Leonard, 1867-70
additions: James W. Naughton, 1887-88
Constructed by the city of Brooklyn to accommodate the influx of residents to Greenpoint in the mid-19th century, the architects of this Romanesque Revival school building were both Superintendents of Buildings for the Brooklyn Board of Education (Leonard: 1859-1879; Naughton: 1880-1898). The brick building features a gabled front façade with arched windows, a rusticated base and an ornate brownstone entrance enframement with pilasters and foliated brackets. The side wings along Norman Avenue were added in 1887-88 and feature shallow hipped roofs, arched windows and ornament that complements the style of the earlier building. The school was designated a New York CIty Individual Landmark in 1983.