St. Cecilia’s Catholic Church
84 Herbert Street
Thomas Henry Poole
The congregation of St. Cecilia’s formed in 1869 and originally occupied a small wood-frame church built in 1871. Over the course of the fifty-year leadership of Rev. Father McGolrick (1857-1938), the congregation vastly grew and the church set out to construct a larger building. This structure, which can hold roughly 1,400 people, is constructed of Georgia marble and limestone, and its altar is made of a cream-colored, French limestone called Caen stone. It features an imposing corner bell tower, capped with a copper roof.
Additional Neighborhood Sites
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Greenpoint Reformed Church, 119-125, 122-124, and 139-151 Milton Street