Edward M. Morgan Place
Long before Riverside Drive wound its way to Upper Manhattan, the Boulevard (now Broadway) opened in 1880, linking present-day Columbus Circle to 155th Street near the entrance to Audubon Park. Around the same time, the city opened the Boulevard Lafayette, which curved northward from the terminus of the Boulevard at 156th Street to run along the Hudson River to Dyckman Street. When Riverside Drive was extended in 1911, it merged with Boulevard Lafayette at 158th Street and cut off the southernmost portion of the street. This one-block remnant of the “Boulevard” was renamed Audubon Place in 1909 and then Edward M. Morgan Place in 1926. Edward M. Morgan, who passed away the previous year, was the first postal employee to rise from the ranks of carrier to become Postmaster of New York City. He was appointed by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1907 and oversaw the country’s first official airmail delivery on Long Island in 1911.