Audubon Hall / Hispania Hall
3765 Broadway, George F. Pelham, 1909
601 West 156th Street, George F. Pelham, 1909
Designed by George F. Pelham, Audubon and Hispania Halls are both primarily clad in brick with limestone and terra-cotta detailing that includes multi-story pinnacles and projecting scroll brackets. These Renaissance Revival style apartment houses both feature gracefully curving façades sharply punctuated by two pairs of recessed bays. A Star of David can be seen in the design of the fence in front of Hispania Hall, perhaps reflecting the German Jewish refugee population that found a home in this neighborhood in the 1930s. These buildings were constructed by the Fleischmann Brothers Corporation, which was known for theaters, public buildings and residential structures throughout New York City. While Audubon Hall pays tribute to the neighborhood’s origins as the Audubon estate, Hispania Hall references the nearby Hispanic Society of America.