APPLE BANK FOR SAVINGS (FORMER BRONX SAVINGS BANK)
12 Westchester Square
Cross & Cross
This two-story bank building, once a branch of The Bronx Savings Bank, embodies a restrained classicism with modern influences. The bank’s entryway features Art Deco detailing, such as stylized columns set within a streamlined entryway and an abstract clock with geometric shapes taking the place of numbers. Designed by Cross & Cross and completed in 1942, this building is actually a reconstruction of an existing structure with an extension added to its southern end. While the bank’s new exterior may have lacked the historical references of the original Federal Revival style building, an engraved tablet depicting Jonas Bronck signing a treaty with the Native Americans that ceded control of the land now comprising The Bronx sits on the north wall of the interior. The Bronx Savings Bank was a local institution from 1905 to 1974, with branches throughout The Bronx and Westchester County, including another extant structure with a historical mural in Parkchester. Both trained in the Beaux Arts tradition, John and Elliot Cross founded Cross & Cross in 1907 and went on to design a diverse array of buildings in the city, ranging from elegant townhouses to the RCA Victor building.