St. Cecilia’s Roman Catholic Church / Regina Angelorum
Napoleon LeBrun & Sons, 1883-87
116 East 106th Street
Neville & Bagge, 1907
This beautiful Romanesque Revival style church was built for the parish of St. Cecilia’s Roman Catholic Church, which, beginning in the 1870s, worshipped in the former Old Red House, a hotel on East 105th Street. In 1881, the church purchased this property and hired Napoleon LeBrun & Sons to design proper church facilities. The result is a richly ornate brick and terra cotta church featuring a large relief of St. Cecilia, patron saint of music, embedded into an arched panel on the building’s central gable. The adjacent “Regina Angelorum” was originally two separate buildings, a four-story tenement built in 1883-84 and a school built in 1885-87. The two buildings were combined in 1906-07 with a façade by Neville & Bagge, but still had two separate functions: a home for working women and a convent. In the late 1930s, the convent took over the entire building until 2004, when the building was converted to the Cristo Rey New York High School.
The Regina Angelorum is a designated New York City Individual Landmark. Both the Regina Angelorum and St. Cecilia’s Roman Catholic Church are listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places.