Duane Street between West Broadway and Church Street
142, 144, 146 Duane Street, 1859-60
131-135 Duane Street, 1861-62
129 Duane Street, 1860-61
Prior to the introduction of store and loft buildings, Duane Street was a mixed-use district with houses, shops,stables, a brewery and a church. The three Italianate store and loft buildings at numbers 142, 144, 146 were built for Benkard & Hutton, an importer of European fabrics. These marble-clad buildings feature bracketed triangular and arched pediments and molded window lintels, quoins, dentiled cornices and fluted columns with Corinthian capitals at their bases. The Italianate marble façades on numbers 129 and 131-35 have double-height arcades, pilasters and balustrades. Number 129 has a dentiled and bracketed stone cornice and number 131-35 has a cast-iron cornice with an arched gable. Each site is located in the Tribeca South and Extension Historic Districts.