510 Atlantic Avenue, 30 Third Avenue
Murray Klein, 1931
Frederick Lee Ackerman and Alexander B. Trowbridge, 1927
In the 1920s, a wave of development brought a series of civic structures to the eastern end of the Avenue, including the Post Office (site # 2), the Brooklyn YWCA and the Times Plaza Hotel. The latter, at 510 Atlantic Avenue, was designed in the Art Deco style as an economy-priced residential hotel for single, retired and working men only. The hotel fell on hard times in the mid-20th century and closed. In the 1990s, Lutheran Social Services acquired the building and turned it into the Muhlenberg Residence to provide care and housing for the needy. Today, the center provides apartments for the formerly homeless, with supportive services and programming. On the opposite corner is the Brooklyn YWCA, which was established in 1892, and moved here in 1927 from its original home at 376 Schermerhorn Street. This YWCA is noted as the nation’s first to racially integrate in 1943. The multi-use facility includes low-income housing for women, a pool and a theater. In 2010, a performing arts organization leased space in the building, including the theater, which was restored. Note the exuberant Beaux-Arts style commercial building immediately adjacent to the YWCA at 503 Atlantic Avenue, which features cast-iron columns at the base and a richly ornate bracketed cornice.