Former Loew’s Canal Street Theatre
31 Canal Street
Thomas W. Lamb, 1926-27
This movie house was designed in the Spanish baroque style and originally held 2,270 seats, offering a welcome distraction and escape from daily life in the tenements until it closed in the 1960s. The glazed white terra cotta façade, dominated by three arched faux windows in the center, is graced with rich Classical ornament in the form of wreaths, urns, griffins and foliage. The Former Loew’s Canal Street Theatre is a New York City Individual Landmark.