WILLIAM A. HURST HOUSE
530 West 215th Street
James W. O’Connor
This brick-and-terra-cotta mansion was constructed in 1912 for William Hurst, his wife and their 10 children. Hurst was the president of the Stock Quotation Telegraph Company, which supplied stock ticker equipment to financial firms. After Hurst died in 1929, his mansion was converted to a convent. In 1946 the property became the Garrard School of the Academy of the Sacred Heart of Mary which closed in 1969. In 1974 the Northeast Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists bought the house and continues to occupy the adjacent, more recent building as the Northeastern Academy.
On the south side of Hurst House in Isham Park is a community garden named for Bruce Reynolds (1960–2001), a Port Authority police officer who lost his life on September 11, 2001 at the World Trade Center.