Union Railway Company

1068 Brook Avenue
Axel S. Hedman

This utilitarian building was constructed in 1908 to serve as “Sub Station No. 2” for the Union Railway Company, which operated a streetcar network stretching from the Westchester County line to a southern terminus in Harlem. Until the last route was discontinued in 1948, streetcars played an important role in The Bronx’s rapid transit network by providing both local service across the borough and shuttling commuters to elevated railway and subway stops. Raised brickwork and geometric patterning constitute the primary form of architectural ornamentation found on this two-story building, but the Union Railway Company name emblazoned at the cornice line is the structure’s most noticeable feature.