The Terry & Tench Building
135 Madison Avenue
J. B. Snook’s sons, 1910
Like Madison Square Park, Madison Avenue was named after James Madison, the fourth President of the United States. The Avenue begins at 23rd Street and extends to the Madison Avenue Bridge at 138th Street. When the Manhattan street grid was mandated in 1811, there was no avenue between Fourth (now Park) and Fifth Avenues. Madison Avenue was carved out in the 1840s due to the wide distance between Fourth and Fifth Avenues and in order to create more building lots with avenue frontage. This southern section of Madison Avenue is characterized by its fine assortment of large-scale hotels, lofts and office buildings.
The Terry & Tench Building was named for the iron company that erected the building. Terry & Tench was also responsible for the steel construction of the Manhattan Bridge and Grand Central Terminal. This loft building was designed in the Edwardian style, a late Victorian style popular between 1901 and 1914 characterized by understated Classical influences.