St. Bartholomew’s Church, Rectory, Parish House
1227 Pacific Street
Church and rectory: George P. Chappell, 1886-90
Parish house: Montrose Morris Sons, 1921
Set back from Pacific Street by a low fence, wrought iron gate a front yard, St. Bartholomew’s Church was designed in the Arts and Crafts style and features a round-arched stained glass window designed by Tiffany Studios in 1930, making it one of the studio’s last commissions, and a large square tower and belfry. The church played a significant role as one of the venerable institutions near Grant Square catering to the area’s Episcopal population. While the church itself is an individual landmark, neither the rectory to the east nor the parish house to the west are designated. The rectory is believed to have been constructed at the same time by the same architect, while the neo-Gothic parish house was added in 1921.
St. Bartholomew's Church is a New York City Individual Landmark and both the church and rectory are listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places.