139 Huron Street
In 1895, after a lengthy movement to provide bathing facilities for the poor, the state legislature passed a law requiring municipalities of 50,000 or more to offer free bathhouses. Between 1901 and 1914, 16 such facilities were built across the city, including this one. As baths became more common in the home, their use dwindled, and this one ceased operation in 1959; it is now home to artists’ studios. The building features elements of ancient Greek and Roman architecture, including Ionic pilasters and a terra-cotta frieze with Greek key motif.