PS 101: The School in the Gardens
2 Russell Place
William H. Gompert, 1927
To accommodate the neighborhood’s children, a small frame schoolhouse was constructed on this site in 1914. With the growing population, a larger school became necessary and the current structure was built. Interestingly, the four-story brick and limestone school features an octagonal tower that directly references the Forest Hills Inn at Station Square, though it was not designed by Atterbury. This shared architectural feature forms distinctive bookends for Greenway Terrace, the heart of Forest Hills Gardens.