New York Botanical Garden and Museum Building
Robert W. Gibson, 1896-1901;
Fountain of Life, Charles E. Tefft, 1903-05
Tulip Tree Allée, Nathaniel Lord Britton, 1903-11 – NYCIL
The New York Botanical Garden, an internationally renowned public garden and research institution, is within Bronx Park in an area previously owned by tobacco magnate Pierre Lorillard. In 1891, the City allocated 250 acres for a public botanical garden, for which the Torrey Botanical Club had advocated for some time. The Club led a private fundraising campaign for the project, and this public-private structure still exists today. Nathaniel Lord Britton and his wife Elizabeth Gertrude Britton, prominent botanists, worked with the Club on this initiative, and in 1896, Mr. Britton became the institution’s first director. The The New York Botanical Garden was made a National Historic Landmark, and listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places in 1967.