1888; extended: 1935-37
In the 1860s, Frederick Law Olmsted designed a system of roads to connect the city’s parks. These “parkways” were meant to accommodate different types of traffic and allow for optimal efficiency. Separated by pleasing landscaping, the center roadway was for private, through traffic, while parallel side roads were for local and commercial traffic. Intersections were via bridges and tunnels to avoid breaks in traffic flow. Mosholu Parkway was acquired in 1888, and originally connected Bronx and Van Cortlandt Parks. In 1935-37, its three miles were extended to link up with the Henry Hudson Parkway in the northwest (the two become the Saw Mill River Parkway to the north) and the Bronx River Parkway to the east. Mosholu is the Algonquin word for “smooth stones” and refers to Tibbett’s Brook, which runs from Yonkers through Van Cortlandt Park.