Morrisania Branch, NYPL, The Bronx
610 East 169th Street
Babb, Cook & Willard, 1908
Originally the McKinley Square Branch, the Morrisania community advocated strongly for a Carnegie library in their neighborhood, with over 1,500 petition signatures sent to the NYPL’s site committee. Their successful effort resulted in the construction of this freestanding, Classical Revival style building. The T-shaped building’s main façade is flanked by lower, recessed, two-story wings. Its design features include arched windows and a projecting stone portico entrance, above which is a large, carved stone seal of the City of New York. The Morrisania Branch was designated a New York City Individual Landmark in 1998.