KENTILE FLOORS SIGN
9th Street and 2nd Avenue
The Kentile Floor Company, founded by Arthur Kennedy in 1898, opened its third location here in 1949. Kentile was a pioneer in the “do-it-yourself ” industry of home improvement. Advertisements featured housewives putting in the floor tiles themselves, implying the simplicity of installation. While Kentile has not been present here since the 1990s, the site is still used for manufacturing.
The sign was dismantled in 2014. The Gowanus Alliance is trying to erect the sign in another location.