Hickson W. Field Stores
170-176 John Street
Named for Hickson W. Field, a prominent merchant, this building was originally located on Burling Slip. Evidence of the Slip, which was filled in in 1835, is represented by the extra width of John Street. The face of the building is made entirely of granite, which is very rare for the Greek Revival style. Granite-faced buildings were common in Boston and northern New England at the time, but not in New York. The uniform range of windows without shutters or decorative lintels and the unornamented façade contribute to the utilitarian character of the building. Perhaps the most austere feature is the use of massive granite piers between the eight-over-eight windows on the ground floor. The building’s subsequent owners, Baker, Carver & Morrell, a company of ship chandlers founded in 1894, treated and restored it beautifully. Presently, the ground floor is home to a restaurant and bar, and the upper floors are apartments.
The Hickson W. Field Stores is located in the New York City and State and National Register of Historic Places South Street Seaport historic districts, and is New York City Individual Landmark.