Fulton Market Building
11 Fulton Street
Benjamin Thompson & Associates and Eggers Partnership
1983; renovation: SHoP Architects, 2015
The area between Fulton and Beekman Streets has been the site of the Fulton Market since 1822, its location chosen to take advantage of the local ferry service, which was named “Fulton Ferry” when Robert Fulton franchised the service and converted it to steam in 1814. The Fulton Ferry transported Long Island farm goods to Manhattan and commuters from the emerging suburb of Brooklyn Heights to their business in the city. The market, also named after Fulton, emerged as a place to buy and sell goods coming in and out of the Seaport. Originally established at Peck Slip in 1817, it moved to Fulton Street in 1822. The Fulton Fish Market sprouted from the all-purpose Fulton Market in 1835, when vendors petitioned for its fishmongers to be moved across the street to the river’s edge (where the Tin Building now stands – Pier 17 at South Street between Fulton and Beekman Streets ). As lower Manhattan became less residential, small retail food establishments dwindled and the Fulton Market expanded. The present structure was part of the Rouse Company’s “festival marketplace” transformation of the Seaport (the building originally housed food operations, including fish), and is once again the subject of renewal efforts as part of the HHC's development plan. The 1983 building, a three-story, brick-clad structure with a corrugated metal canopy and metal gabled roof, is undergoing a makeover to include a movie and dinner theater.
Fulton Market Building is located in the New York City and State and National Register of Historic Places South Street Seaport historic districts.