Former Long Island College Hospital campus
70 Atlantic Avenue (Ferrenz & Taylor, 1974)
350 Hicks Street (Ferrenz & Taylor, 1984)
100 Amity Street, a.k.a. 350 Henry Street (Marshall Emery, 1896-97)
110 Amity Street (William C. Hough, 1902)
On the south side of Atlantic Avenue is the northern tip of the Long Island College Hospital campus. The hospital opened in 1858, followed by the medical college in 1860. The distinguished institution was a trailblazer in its early years as the first in the country to employ bedside teaching and the first to provide an ambulance service in Brooklyn. The hospital served as a medical base for the Union Army during the Civil War, and treated sick immigrants after a fire at Ellis Island around the turn of the 20th century. In 1954, the hospital merged with the State University of New York and enjoyed several decades of renowned success. By the 1990s, the hospital was plagued with budget issues, and after many lawsuits, real estate deals and protests on the part of hospital workers, local residents and politicians, the institution finally closed in 2014. Plans are underway for mixed-use redevelopment. Two large-scale buildings are located on Atlantic Avenue: the E. M. Fuller Pavilion at 70 Atlantic Avenue and the Joan Osborn Polak Pavilion at 350 Hicks Street. Two late 19th and early 20th century hospital buildings are extant just south of Atlantic Avenue: the Polhemus Memorial Clinic at 100 Amity Street and the Dudley Memorial at 110 Amity Street. The former was a gift from Caroline Herriman Polhemus in honor of her husband, Henry Ditmas Polhemus, a regent of the hospital and a well-known figure in Brooklyn. It was built as a clinic to serve underprivileged people in the area, as well as provide laboratories and lecture rooms for the college. The latter was a gift from Henry W. Maxwell in honor of the hospital’s first Council member, Dr. William H. Dudley, and designed as a residence for student nurses. Both buildings were designed in the French Renaissance Revival style, making for a fanciful and exuberant display at the corner of Henry Street. All the buildings are located in the Cobble Hill Historic District.