Former Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Incarnation and St. Jacobi Evangelical Lutheran Church
5323 Fourth Avenue
Harold T. Brinkerhoff, 1927-28
5406 Fourth Avenue 1908-10
On the corner of 54th Street and Fourth Avenue are two magnificent Lutheran churches designed in the Gothic Revival style. The former Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Incarnation features red and orange brick with cast stone trim and a large pointed-arch stained-glass window dominating its Fourth Avenue façade. The building next door, which is part of the complex, was the congregation’s original church, designed by Bannister & Shell and built in 1908. St. Jacobi, which once offered services in German for area immigrants, features beige brick, a pyramidal spire with copper dormers and a grand crenellated entry with three pointed-arch doorways.