Crotona Park and Crotona Play Center
Herbert Magoon, Aymar Embury II and others, 1934-36
This park was originally part of the roughly 2,000-acre Morris estate, dating back to 1679.In 1848, Gouverneur Morris II (1813-1888) auctioned off much of his property to profit from the area’s suburbanization. This 127.5- acre parcel was sold to the Bathgate family, who owned it until 1888, when it was acquired by the City. Due to plans for numerous athletic facilities in the park, it was named after Croton, the ancient Greek city that was home to many Olympic champions. Indian Lake is a scenic highlight that the Bathgate family allowed the public to use for recreation before the property became public. Concrete walls and paths around the lake were installed in 1914. The boathouse was built in the 1940s under Parks Commissioner Robert Moses after a concession stand burned down on the site. Across the lake is a stone bridge and amphitheater, which was unveiled in 2009. The Crotona Play Center, a bathhouse and swimming pool at the park’s western edge, was constructed in the Art Deco style under the Works Progress Administration. It features a monumental arched brick entry with two square towers topped with glass-block skylights and an interior open-air courtyard. The Crotona Play Center was designated a New York CIty Individual and interior landmark in 2007.