Columbia Club/Renaissance Hotel, Manhattan
Address: 4 West 43rd Street
Architect: Clarence Luce
LPC Action: Calendared 2000
LPC Backlog Hearing: Removed from the calendar without prejudice
The Columbia Club was formed in 1901, and membership increased vastly by 1915 that the the organization left the then-club district of Gramercy and purchased 4 West 43rd Street. Many other clubs followed suit and eventually this area centered around West 43rd and 44th Streets between Fifth and Sixth Avenues emerged as the “Clubhouse District”. Originally the Renaissance Hotel, the building was designed by architect Clarence Luce and was constructed in 1890-91 originally as an apartment hotel for young men.