Claremont Park


This park was also part of the expansive Morris estate until it was sold to Elliott and Anna Zborowski de Montsaulain, who named it “Claremont.” In 1859, they built a mansion and landscaped the grounds with terraced lawns descending toward Mill Brook (now Webster Avenue). When the property became part of the Bronx park system in 1888, many changes were made, including new paths, recreational facilities and the removal of orchards. The mansion briefly served as the Bronx Parks Department’s administrative headquarters, but was demolished in 1938 when the headquarters moved to a new building on Bronx River Parkway.