Church of the Intercession / Trinity Cemetery

550 West 155th Street
church: Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, 1912-15; vicarage: Cram, Goodhue and Ferguson, 1911-14
601 West 153rd Street
James Renwick, Jr., 1843; re-design: Calvert Vaux, 1881

Located at the northern edge of West Harlem, the Church of the Intercession traces its roots to the 1840s, when prominent residents, including Richard Carman and John James Audubon, petitioned a priest based in Harlem to hold Episcopal services in a building in Carmansville. Faced with overcrowding and financial insolvency by the turn of the century, the Church of the Intercession negotiated with Trinity Church to construct a new building on the grounds of its cemetery, thereby losing its independent status and becoming the Chapel of the Intercession until again becoming its own parish in 1976. The Late English Gothic Revival church and its Tudor Revival vicarage are constructed of ashlar with limestone trim. Founded in 1842, Trinity Cemetery was established to provide burial grounds outside of Trinity Church’s congested environs downtown. The cemetery’s hilly terrain, now bisected by Broadway, serves as the final resting place of, among others, John Jacob Astor Sr., John James Audubon and Clement Clarke Moore, author of “Twas the Night Before Christmas.”

Less

Neighborhood Map

Additional Neighborhood Sites