Broadway between Franklin Street and Leonard Street
366 Broadway,Frederick C. Browne, 1908-09
361 Broadway, W. Wheeler Smith, 1881-82
359 Broadway, Field & Correja, 1852
346 Broadway, Stephen Decatur Hatch and McKim, Mead & White, 1894-99
In the mid-19th century, this section of Broadway was New York’s most fashionable shopping district. The Italianate building at number 359 housed the studio of Mathew B. Brady, whose documentation of the Civil War made him one of the most important American photographers of all time. The Beaux-Arts office building at number 366 is faced in brick and limestone with terra cotta trim and other moldings, including carved faces. Number 361, one of the city’s largest cast-iron structures, features columns and piers with Corinthian capitals and abstract ornament that varies from floor to floor. The former New York Life Insurance building at number 346, an Italian Renaissance-style skyscraper, is the work of two noted firms: Stephen D. Hatch, who completed the rear eastern section, and McKim, Mead & White, who took over after Hatch’s sudden death. 366 Broadway is located in the Tribeca East Historic District. 361 Broadway, 359 Broadway are both designated New York City Individual Landmarks. 346 Broadway is a designated New York City Individual and Interior Landmark, and listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places.