Bedford Presbyterian Church
1200 Dean Street
Arthur Bates Jennings, c. 1897
expansion: Dodge & Morrison with Kenneth M. Murchison, 1906 – NYC HD, NR-D
This Romanesque Revival style church was completed in two phases about 10 years apart by different architects. The northern section facing Dean Street is the original building, while that facing Nostrand Avenue was added later. The church dominates the intersection with its romantic massing, including gables, conical and pyramidal turrets, and a campanile bell tower, as well as decorative features like round arches with rough-faced stone lintels, leaded glass windows, and slate tile roof. The church retains the neighborhood’s original name, Bedford.
The Bedford Presbyterian Church is located in the Crown Heights North Historic District and the State and National Register Crown Heights North Historic District.